Sunday, July 09, 2006

A sign of true talent

In my life I have auditioned for three school talent shows. I performed in one. That's a 30% success rate.
The first showing of my skills was in fourth grade. I grew up in a really small resort town in California. I don't know what that has to do with anything, but I thought you should know that. So two of my good friends and I performed a dance skit to the music of Paula Abdul. We sewed our own tops. They were puffy white belly shirts. We worn them with those tight spandex black pants that were so hot in the 80's. Amazingly enough this was the only talent show that I actually made it into. Maybe because I was a member of the cool kids cliche. Or maybe because standards were low. Or maybe it is because I truly am a dancing queen.
The second attempt at stardom was in 7th grade. I was living in a different town now. This performance was also composed of two good friends and myself. There would be no dancing though, well maybe a little. We got poodle skirts and tied our hair into tight pony tails. It was a musical trio. The song: My boyfriends back. We had two backup singers, myself and another girl. During the audition, our timing got a little off and we didn't make it. I think I remember one of the popular girls telling me that I shouldn't sing that song because I could never have a boyfriend. I like to imagine her fat and bitter now.
My third attempt came the following year. I am a persistent little thing. I sang a duet with my best friend at the time. The song was "I believe I can Fly" by R-Kelly. Yes, yes, I am a nerd. I still remember all the words. Well, we didn't make it into this show either. At some point during our audition we screwed up or something. My friend stopped singing and asked if we could start over. That was the end of that. I never tried out for another talent competition.

No comments: